Paper II : DEVELOPMENT ECONOMICS AND ISSUES IN INDIAN ECONOMY
1. Concepts: Development and underdevelopment Factors conductive and hindrance to development Measurement with reference to per capital income, physical quality of life Index, Human Development. Index and Net Economic welfare.
2. Approaches to Development: Balanced and Unbalanced growth Import substitution and exported growth Investment criteria Sens choice of techniques.
3. Structure of Indian Economy: Structural changes in India economy since independence Trends in the composition of national income distribution Poverty and inequalities A critical appraisal.
4. Human Resources: Population Changes in occupational structure Age, genders, rural and urban Literacy, Education, Health and National Policies Unemployment.
5. Planning and State Intervention: A brief review of achievements of earlier lans current five year plan, its objectives and allocation Current fiscal policy On overview of public distribution system.
6. Agriculture and Rural Development: A brief review of land reforms Impact of New agricultural strategy Agricultural Finance Marketing and Agricultural price policy Rural Development Programmes with reference to IRDP, Rozgar Yojanas and their impact on women and weaker sections.
7. Industry and Trade: Structure and problems of industry including public sector roel of small scale industries and sickness among them Household Industries: Hand looms. Dairy and Poultry Source of Industrial Finance an outline of institutional finance and role of IDBI and IFCI New Industrial policy Trade policy Balance of payments Role of IMF and IBRD in Indian economic development State policy CATT.
Books for Reference and Study:
1. G.M. Meri : Leading issues in Economic Development
2. A.K. Sen : Choice of Techniques, Bodil Blockwell
3. Gatak S. : Development Economics, Longmen.
4. Agarwal, A.N. : Indian Economy, Vikas
5. Dutt & Sundaram : Indian Economy, S. Chand & Co.,
6. Gahosh A. : Indian Economy, World Press
7. Hicks J.R.M. Mukherjee and S.Ghosh :The Frame work of the Indian Economy, Oxford.
8. Misra S.K. and V.K. Puri : Indian Economy, Himalaya
9. Wadha, C.D. : Some problems of Indian Economy, Tata MC Graw Hill.
10. Srivastava : Advanced Economics of Development and Planning alliod Publishers.
11. Ghosh A and SK : Planning Techniques and Indian Plans
12. S. Chandrasekhar and Ranigopal : Population growth, Health and Nutrition.
13. Meri and Baldwin : Economic Development
14. Telugu Akdemi Publications